Sunday, September 29, 2013

Reaching Out with God's Hands

Several years ago I read the book by Max Lucado, “Just like Jesus”. In the chapter “A Compassionate Heart”, the author suggests that you look at your hands and consider if someone was to do a documentary on your hands what it would entail? From an infant using their hands to grab hold of their parent's finger or to grab onto a table in order to stand, to a growing sibling using his hands to push down his brother, to hands being used to show affection…hands can be used to bring both comfort and harm.

 I've known this distinction, having grown up in a household where hands often related more to something to be feared rather than something to bring comfort. A loved one with a troubled soul, who used alcohol to try to numb the demons of his past, would use his hands to strike out. At times as children, we would wake to the noise of conflict and a hole being punched into a wall. Or at other times, these same hands would hold the belt that randomly brought pain to my siblings and I  for infractions of various degrees.  Less often were there times of being held by loving hands.
 
While I was raising my own children I began to realize the strength given to hands when used to bring comfort and to show affection. Although there were times my hands were used to necessarily discipline, most often they embraced my children, or they were used to wipe their tears, to give them a high five or to massage and draw pictures on their backs in our nightly bedtime routine. Yes hands can be used to bring both harm and healing, or for good or evil.
 
In my counseling practice I have heard stories of horrific abuse taking place by the hands of some. Those who have suffered often come to fear a healthy touch, because their past experience has been that they can't trust what they once longed for.  There is beauty in the assurance that the injury inflicted is neither beyond God's hand to bring healing nor his ability to bring justice.

Studies have been done that show how important touch is.  Babies who are not touched or held, fail to thrive. The same can happen with adults who become isolated from others when they do not receive the warmth of a touch. For the widow and orphan, a loving touch experienced in their isolation may bring the hope and compassion that has been lacking. The same is often true for people who go through divorce.  Touch which was once common becomes a rarity. While living as a divorced adult for 15 years, I experienced brotherly hugs on occasion. However, I did not realize how long I had gone without the touch of another person's hand in mine.  I remember the first time my (now) husband enclosed my hand in his, it felt magical and safe. There was a part of me that knew this was the hand I wanted to have hold mine forever. 

Our hands can be used to encourage and show love to our  parents, our spouse, and our children. They can be used to welcome a stranger.  Our hands can also be used as an outward sign of our love for our Savior.  As we worship our Lord, our hands may be lifted high in praise as well as in a sign of surrender.  

Jesus used his hands to glorify His Father. He also used his hands to lift the bed ridden, to heal the Lepers, to bring sight to the blind, to touch the outcast of society, and to wash the feet in service to His Disciples. His hands were an extension of love from the Father and He was willing to touch the unlovely before they were made cleaned.   For many years Jesus had been reaching out to me as I lived my life in rebellion, and I would "slap" His hand away.  One day I found myself at what seemed like the bottom of a very dark miry pit.  Jesus reached out his hand to me in the midst of my depravity, and instead of fighting back like I had previously done, I grabbed hold.  I have been holding on, as he has held me ever since.

Jesus continues to touch the lives of His followers, as well as those far away from him whom He desires to draw near to Himself.  If you cry out to Him he is faithful to come and hold you in the midst  of whatever trial you go through. His presence can be as real and palpable as another human being touching you in person. Yet, Jesus' touch brings a comfort which surpasses anything you will have ever experienced and will be beyond your understanding. Jesus still touches those who feel unloved. He is an ever present help in times of trouble. Jesus is the same today as He was over two thousand years ago. He pursues us and waits for our response. When we call out to Him, he will touch us in our brokenness and bring us new life.

As you consider your hands today and how you use them, ask yourself “are my hands an instrument of peace?” Am I more likely to use them for prayer or do I shake my clenched fist at God? Do I use my hands more for grabbing or giving?
Am I ready to surrender my hands to God?  If so, your hands will become instruments of grace and extensions of His (the Master's) hands. He will use whatever we surrender to Him to bring a touch to those in our world who are in desperate need of knowing His healing, perfect and abundant love.  

1 comment: